Sunday, August 16, 2009

interesting foods

One of the most common questions I get asked is, “How are you eating?”  As in, are you eating enough?  Are you eating healthy? What kind of food are you eating? 

I find this questions kind of funny actually, in that my food budget is about $4 a day.  I usually eat toast for breakfast, then a PB&J sandwich for lunch, and mince and stir-fry or chicken, stir-fry and noodles for dinner.  I do eat a lot of carbs such as, bread, noodles, rice, but I also eat a lot of veggies, apples, bananas, other fruits.  So as you can see, though I can’t exactly afford to be on the Adkins diet, I eat very good. 

By now, you're probably asking yourself, "what is the point of this blog?  What’s this guy going on about?"  Well about 1-3 million people in Africa live on $1 a day in total.  So this next month (June) I am going to do a $1 a day fast. 

I will pay my rent, communication, and transport bills at the beginning of the month, (which I have no choice but to pay) but after that I will only be allowed to spend $1 a day.  That includes food, entertainment, and any other expenses one might have. 
 
I will literally buy my food on a day-to-day basis. I can’t buy the whole months worth of food at once and have it average out to a dollar a day.  I can’t use the peanut butter that I didn’t use this month. I have to start from the beginning.  If I only spend 50 cents one day, I can spend $1.50 the next. 

The reason I am doing this, is not to toot my own horn, but it is to place myself in other people’s shoes so I can understand what it is really like to go to sleep hungry every night.  Though I know I’ll never fully know, hopefully I will have a better understanding. 

I will also be praying over several things over the month of June, which I’d like to invite everyone who reads this blog to join me in prayer. 
 
I’m going to make a list of 30 things that need prayer in Africa and every day focus 1 hour (that’s right one hour) a day in prayer on each one of these issues.
 
I will also do a lot of sitting and listening each day for God’s heart on each of these issues.  (I’d also like to invite you to partake in this) 

The list will be coming soon…


Also If you have not seen the details for the trip I will soon be doing please click here

No comments: